LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.01 (05) E]

Thu Jan 1 20:12:36 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 January 2009 - Volume 05

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.31 (08) E]

Dear Luc

Subject: LL-L "Delectables"

You say: Looking at the description of South-African "koeksisters" or
"koesisters", I have the impression these look/taste more like our
smoutebollen ("smaabol(le)n" we say here) than "vetkoeken":

Dead right there: A koeksister is not bread, but koek (cake) & verrry sweet
of course. My Boshoff en Nienaber (Afrikaanse Etimologie) suggests it used
to be 'koeksisser' (cake sizzler) as in the hot fat. Afrikaans does play
with the etymological root sometimes. For example, a (sometime) home-made
shoe of suede leather that used to be 'velskoen' is now generally pronounced
'veldskoen'. You can hear the 'd'. Nowadays they are generally associated
with if not inevitably worn 'in the veld'.

You should tell Boshoff en Ninaber about the measure of volume - it seems to
want looking into.

Aan u en uwe ook, 'n voorspoedige nuwe jaar toe. (I liked the spot of Latin
in your salutation, hey?)

"ne gelukkige vöö allegaa 't *noste* jaar"...

Yrs,

Mark