LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.01 (06) [A/E]

Thu Jan 1 21:24:43 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 January 2009 - Volume 06

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.01 (05) E]

>>Aan u en uwe ook, 'n voorspoedige nuwe jaar toe. (I liked the spot of
Latin in your salutation, hey?)

>>"ne gelukkige vöö allegaa 't *noste* jaar"...

>>Yrs,

>>Mark

Not entirely sure what you meant here, but the word 'noste' definately
hasn't got anything to do with Latin...

noste/nöste etc. = English 'next', Dutch naast (which now only means "next
to","besides"), also used in older Antwerp dialect and in most of southern
Dutch. Dutch "volgend" has nowadays taken over, tho.

Greetings, Diederik