LL-L "Grammar" 2009.01.06 (04) [E]

Tue Jan 6 15:34:11 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 January 2009 - Volume 04

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2009.01.05 (06) [E]

As for Luc's reference to a (single person's) claim that
Turkish-background students have a harder time understanding 3-D
geometry and topology, I THINK maybe -- based on my experiecnes
teaching Turkish speakers (and Kurdish bilinguals), Japanese speakers,
Japanese signers and Indian signers, that the claim may be a mistaken
conclusion based on real evidence...

That is, IF you give a Japanese/Turkish/Japanese Deaf/Indian Deaf the
English sentence "The table is in front of the chir" then they are
liley as not to misconstrue it and give the opposite reading.
(Similarly with causals like because).

However, this is because they have not fully grasped the nature of
ENGLISH GRAMMAR (the trully strange fact that we tell you "look
behind" BEFORE we tell you "behind WHERE?"), NOT that they haven't
ghgraspoed the multidimensioned nature of the physical universe.

> I was once told that students with a Turkish background had greater
> difficulty grasping 3D-geometry and topology, because Turkish has no
> separate prepositions and rather builds constructions at the back of words
> like suffixes.

PS ALL the above languages woudl be of the form: CHAIR ITS-IN-FRONT
TABLE IS .. which, suffciently given poor langaueg instruction and
exposure, WE too might misconstrue.

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ
מייק || மாஇக் || Miqueu || U C > || ما یک || Mihangel
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director Ishara Foundation Mumbai (Bombay), India
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.) मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )