LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.06 (05) [E]

Tue Jan 6 19:55:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 January 2009 - Volume 05

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.06 (03) [E]

And we have "(Tales of) a Thousand Nights and a Night" ... though a
translation of the Arabic syntactic pattern, and also a somewhat
similar construction (i.e. one with the noun "stuck" in the middle of
the number") is found "neighboring" the Lowlands linguistic area in
Welsh:

pum mlynedd ar hugain "25 years" (literally: 5 years on twenty")

It is also found in Brezhoneg (Breton) and Irish (without a preposition):

seacht mbliana déag "17 years" (lit. 7 years ten)

(Said construction is not, to my knowledge found in Wenglish, the
English dialect of the valleys of South Wales --- but I am a
northerner by heritage, and somehow everytime i go back I SAY i will
visit the south too, but never make it further than Aberystwyth! Sandy
and them can comment on its existence in the Lowlands language
brodering the Gaeltacht in the north.)

mike (mihangel) morgan
bombay