LL-L "Numeralia" 2009.01.06 (06) [E]

Tue Jan 6 22:50:14 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 January 2009 - Volume 06

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.05 (07) [E]

from heather rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Kevin wrote But what about when it starts as "nine" but it's really
"nineteen"? Then you have to stick a "1" in front.  Not to mention
mishearing "fifteen" as "fifty" or vice versa (or any of the other teens).

Good point! and that makes it all the more fascinating! So do we develop a
double standard ( in what ever language we speak) that, when we can write as
we hear, we do - I have watched Germans writing from right to left i.e.
units first and I have seen French speakers cross out an 8 and change it to
a 9 because they have written too quickly when hearing 'quatre-vingt-treize'

But when we HAVE TO LISTEN to the whole number being said, we wait i.e. I am
not aware of writing  9 and then putting the 1 in front in English ( tho' I
probably would do if I was listening to German!) My instant reaction is that
I write after the end of the number . How do my ears tell the difference
from "Nine -ty-nine" and "Nine -teen"? Do my ears tell the difference?

What are other members aware of? Writing units first for German speakers?
Waiting for the whole number? A Mixture of the two Or do we react too
quickly to tell the difference?

I was being rather tongue-in-cheek about English speakers being aware of 3
different systems,as most people are NOT aware and recognise only the
isolated examples they come across : i.e. biblical quote re man's life  and
4 & 20 blackbirds.

You could also add to this Yan tan tethera pethera pimp and Hickory Dickory
Dock supposedly remnants of Old British - or Eeny Meeny Miney Mo  which you
also find in German Nursery rhymes e.g. Eene Meene Morte Wer bäckt Torte...

What did Kipling call them?  " Eeny Meeny Miney Mo  - The big 1 to 4 of long
ago"

Heather