LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.10 (05) [E]

Sun Jan 11 06:14:08 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 10 January 2009 - Volume 05

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.10 (01) [E]

> From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
> Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.09 (09) [E]
>
> give his telephone number as: 053 – 57 – 21 – 8, 3, 9. Go figure! Does
> this have anything to do with whether we say "zevenenvijftig" or
> "fifty seven"? How do people in other countries solve this? Is there
> anything known about how we arrive at the rythm for large numbers. I
> am not even speaking about the 16 digit credit cards that we are
> schlepping around with us.
>
> Does anybody have an answer to that question?

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language programming
>
> Jacqueline, Heather and the rest of you Lowlands lot,
>
> I may be way off here, but when it comes to memorizing and saying (and
> dialing) strings of numbers it seems to me that I use the same
> mechanisms I use when I memorize and recite poems and songs. It seems
> to be a matter of the combination of rhythm and sounds, probably
> specifically rhythm and vowels.
>
> Am I just weird or does anyone else share this perception?

Jacqueline and Ron,

A good way of seeing how other people deal with this is to search for
sites or forums run by people who memorise pi to thousands of decimal
places. They do seem to depend to a great extent on just reciting it
with some sort of rhythm.

Personally I have a tendency to visualise numbers to find them in my
memory, then I use the rhythm and sound to complete the number. For
example, the phone code for my area in Scotland is greenish-brown, which
makes me think of 7 and 8, from which I can use the rhythm to get 01875.

I tend to think of 7 as green, 5 as blue, 2 as yellow, 9 as black, 8 as
brown, 3 as red, 6 as grey and 4 as light brown. Zero seems light or
soft somehow, while 1 seems heavy or indents the background. This isn't
a deliberate scheme devised for memory, it's just how I've come to think
of these things.

In my work, we often use forms or database records with reference
numbers for engineering error logs and suchlike. If a problem is
persistent, it's not unusual for people to start naturally referring to
it by its number rather than it's title. Thus there may be a discussion
about "Observation 24963" and "24740", so that my interpreter has no
clue what everybody's talking about! But it does show that if a long
number is associated with a meaning and used frequently in conversation,
it "sinks in" quite easily, almost as if it had become a word. "24963"
becomes as easy as Raxacoricofallapatorius :)

Apart from those that sink in naturally, I find I almost never bother to
memorise numbers at all. If I know a long number, it's because I've used
it so much it's just sunk in.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/