LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.11 (09) [E]

Sun Jan 11 22:57:54 UTC 2009

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 January 2009 - Volume 09

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.11 (02) [E]

Dear Heather,

yes, poets do such things, but what if we reverse the definition: whenever
"the indescribable is put into words" or made perceptible we may call it
poetry! So science may be poetry; surely it has the thrilling effect of
poetry and beauty enough... When a 13-year old child I had to repeat one
year at school because I failed both in math and in physics, while excelling
in all the languages, history, arts etc. "Das Kind ist eben musisch begabt",
they said, and for some years I accepted this sentence, always with a
feeling that something great was silently passing along in my back and I had
just to turn round to see it. I finally did turn round when school system
allowed us to choose our main school subjects, and I chose physics (being
the only girl to do so) and later studied it. My defiant temper was quite up
to the troubles I had to take, and I found something like a great passion,
like a full and sound answer to my love of poetry. Not metaphors only -- to
use nature only as a pool of metaphors seems a sacrilege, like making a
convenience of a kind friend. Of course we are all the time speaking nature
language; just now I was on the point of calling comprehension a sunrise
feeling, but I abstained :-) Often science seemed to me like doing nothing
but a translation -- not a very fine one sometimes, due to poor human
language (including mathematics), but you do what you can. In some aspects,
all communication is translation, hm?

Now I have to stop. All this is too intimate already. You people get me to
talk about what poetry and science mean to me, why what is this?! :-)

Hartlich

Marlou