LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.12 (01) [E]

Mon Jan 12 18:51:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 January 2009 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.11 (09) [E]

Richard Dawkins discusses this in "Unweaving the Rainbow", where he argues
that science, far for destroying the poetry of the world, makes it even more
remarkable. (The poet Keats accused Newton of destroying the beauty of the
rainbow by explaining it).

Paul

----------

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language programming" 2009.01.10 (01) [E]

Jacqueline asked:  "Does this have anything to do with whether we say
"zevenenvijftig" or "fifty seven"?"

Back in another life-time of mine, I worked for AT&T (the telephone company)
in the USA.  The story there went like this:  Before AT&T went to direct
dialing, they did a study of customers and found that most people can
remember things in blocks of 3 or 4 numbers most easily.  Therefore, we have
the USA system of three number area codes, three number exchanges, and four
number individual lines.  I've noticed that other countries I've visited
seem to stick with pairs of numbers whenever they can, instead of the 3-3-4
pattern.

Now, keep in mind that the USA has Social Security Numbers (a national old
age insurance system) that come in 9 digits, but the pattern goes 3-2-4.
Most everyone here memorizes their Social Security Number in that rhythmic
way, saying 123, pause, 45, pause, 6789.  I don't know which came first –
the Social Security Number or the telephone number, but I'll bet one
influenced the other when it came to establishing patterns.

Mark Brooks

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Given that the entire world population can be expressed in just 10 digits, I
can't work out why we need a 16-digit anything!

Paul