LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.20 (02) [D/E]

Tue Jan 20 18:22:08 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 January 2009 - Volume 02

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.01.19 (05) [E]

Dear Ron

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

You wrote:

German word *Wand* and the Dutch word *wand* denote an inside wall, in other
words a partitioning wall, usually "wall" as seen from the inside of a
building (as opposed to *Mauer* and *muur* for an outside wall). I wonder if
German *Wand* and Dutch *wand* began as a specifically Frankish word.

And:

However, apparently German *Wand* and Dutch *wand *are derived from the
related verb *wind-* as in English "to wind," specifically in the sense of
"to wind > weave (twigs)". Walls of half-timbered houses used to consist of
timber frames and woven twigs and brushwork sealed with clay. (

In later times brick came to be added in between timber beams on the
outside.) In other words, clay-sealed woven barriers were seen from the
inside and were called *wand* (Old German *want*).

Mark:

There is also the English word 'wand', a thin, whippy stick suitable for
basketwork & for wattle-&-daub building, usually poll-willow. Also Harry
Potter & Co. conjure with it.

Yrs,

Mark