LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.01.26 (06) [E]

Mon Jan 26 21:17:42 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 January 2009 - Volume 06

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

Luc, I used "What's going on?" as a new-ish American greeting, used a lot
among younger people, especially males. So it isn't a question. It took me a
while to figure this out myself ... One of my young friends calls me on the
phone and says, "Hey, Ron! What's going on?" and each time I'm tempted to
answer it as a question. Apparently the stock response is "Not much" even if
there *is* a lot. It all sounds kind of masculine.

PS: Having problems the last few days getting umlauts in Lowlands post. No
matter what encoding I choose, they're not coming through.

I'm having the same problem, even though I didn't change anything. In the
archives everything is OK if you switch the view mode to UTF-08 mode.

I might need to see if our LINGUIST hosts know what we are dealing with.