LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.01 (02) [EN]

Wed Jul 1 14:56:38 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 01 July 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: idebruin <idebruin at home.nl>
Subject: makkar

Hello *makkers*

I think the of the Dutch word makker (friend)  is derived from Hebrew  רכּמ
*makkar *which means acquaintance, friend. Before the second world war there
used to live a lot of Jewish people in the Netherlands and they enriched the
Dutch language with a lot of words – *jat,* *jof*e*l*, *bajes*, *lef*, *
Mokum* etc. Moreover the Dutch never made bones about picking up words from
other languages. I wonder whether there are Hebrew words to be found in
other European languages.

Greetings

Iwe de Bruin
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hello, dear Iwe!

First of all, welcome to the talking team! I'm happy you took the step.

And you did so with a bang. Some of us that should have known better
(including yours truly) should hang their heads in shame.

You are absolutely right, מכר means 'acquaintance', 'companion' in Hebrew.

Duh! "Problem" solved.

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA