LL-L "Projects" 2009.07.02 (05) [EN]

Fri Jul 3 17:53:09 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 July 2009 - Volume 05
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Projects

Dear Lowlanders,

I have finished putting up the Greenlandic version of the Wren story (in
this case "Little Bird" story) that I mentioned a couple of days ago:

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/kalaallisut.php

Although it seems far afield from the Lowlands, you might like to read the
language introduction, because it contains up-to-date language politics
information, and some of the structural features may be of interest to those
of you that like to put Lowlands features into a global perspective:

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/kalaallisut-info.php

Besides, Greenlandic borrowed many Danish words that are of Middle Saxon
("Middle Low German") origin.

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

This was another labor of love on my part, as I have a lifelong soft spot
for Greenland. When I was a teenager, most of my more advanced Danish
reading consisted of books about Greenland. Ever since, I have been
following the development of Greenland from colonial status toward national
self-determination. The last important date was June 21, 2009, when
self-rule was extended and Greenlandic became the only official language of
the country.

Seattle, USA