LL-L "Orthography" 2009.07.13 (02) [EN]

Tue Jul 14 02:03:19 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 July 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2009.07.13 (01) [EN]

Speaking as a native American English speaker, I’d say both spellings
(theater and theatre) have long been accepted in the US (my 1982 American
Heritage Dictionary lists them both without comment), just like
catalog/catalogue, and unlike center/centre, color/colour, etc. (although
the spelling “centre” is often used in commercial/retail developments to
lend an air of prestige).

Kevin Caldwell

Laurel, Maryland