LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.17 (02) [EN]

Fri Jul 17 16:00:50 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 July 2009 - Volume 02
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (06) [EN]

RE Luc (Hellinckx) on zeebezen:
 Funny! Yesterday I received some old linguistic magazines from the '30s
called "Mededeelingen van de Zuidnederlandsche Dialectencentrale" and one of
them had a map in it (plus an article) on dialect names for black and red
currant in southern Dutch dialects.
>From Antwerp I know we call 'em (the red ones at least) troskes(beze)
[little raceme(berry)s], roej beze(kes) [(little) red berries] or simply
bezekes, little berries.

 Looking on the map of the red currant I see in West-Flemish they are indeed
called jenevers or jenevelbes, which in the westhoek and the region around
Antwerp is also used for the black currant.
Both the red and black current can be called St-Jansbes (cf johannisbeere),
the red in most of Limburg and a bit of Brabant, the black one only in a
corner of limburg.

PS why don't i actually just upload the maps, hope the quality of my phone
cam doesn't render it unreadable.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10049209@N02/
(first eight, tried to take a couple of closeups as well, but my screen is
bad so I hope its jsut me who cant read shit)

Diederik

From: Hugo Zweep <zweep at bigpond.com>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (03) [EN]

>From Gussie Moran, the tennis player who showed spectacular underwear? I've
always associated the phrase with her. But then she was in the late 1940s
and early 1950s.

Hugo Zweep