LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.17 (04) [EN]

Fri Jul 17 23:32:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 July 2009 - Volume 04
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (03) [EN]

> From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.16 (06) [EN]
>>> had a map in it (plus an article) on dialect names for black and red
currant in southern Dutch dialects.

I don't know what the map says, but in my Lonerland South Limburgish the
names were:
*- zwatte kroezele*
*- roi kroezele*

I have a feeling *kroezele* comes from the French *groseilles*

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: KarlRein at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.17 (02) [EN]

 I grew up in New Jersey, and was born in 1931.  I thought "gussied up" was
normal all my life, suggesting (a woman) wearing fancy clothes for a
particular event.  It comes as a shock that the expression is younger than I
am!  I had a connection in my mind with "gusset", which I see (in my
dictionaries) has to do with being appropriately protected with triangular
pieces of armor, and later made of plain cloth.

My companion, younger than I am, raised mostly in small towns in Texas, has
known the expression "gussied up" all his life, and added, without
prompting, that he remembers old people using it.

I hope someone will come up with an earlier dating - I could swear my
grandmother used the expression, and she was born in 1864 in New Foundland
but raised in New York City and died of old age in the 40s.

Karl Reinhardt

 In a message dated 7/16/2009 4:21:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,