LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.18 (05) [EN]

Sat Jul 18 18:28:22 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 July 2009 - Volume 05
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.18 (03) [EN]

> From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2009.07.16 (01) [EN]
> What about: Jacob van Maerlant was the author of Ulenspiegel?

1 - The only thing we know is that the different editions can be linked to
an initial origin: the Strasbourg edition of 1510/1511.in high German.
Only 2 fragments of the original edition are preserved (called the Honegger
fragment and the Hucker fragment)

The oldest complete edition dates from 1515, a third known edition dates
from 1519.

The printer of these 3 editions was Johannes Reinhardi from Grüningen in
Baden-Wurttemberg.
He was called Johann Gruninger.

One of the reasons why the 3 editions differ, were changes in character
types and in number of lines per page, forcing to delete words for keeping a
same content within a very same page. Clearly there have also been typing
errors.

Geeraerdts concludes, after analysis, that there must have been a lost
Antwerp Dutch version based on the 1510/11 version, serving as base for the
preserved Antwerp English edition of 1518. This lost first Dutch version was
also the base for later versions in Dutch.

So all printed sources can be traced back to the 1510/11 Strasbourg edition.

There are quite some theories that the 1510/11 print in High German must
have been preceeded by a Low German original (manuscript?).

2. Anyhow, the source of all early editions puts as place of birth:
Knetlinge(n) at the river (W)elm(e).
and the date of death at 1350
with place of burial Mölln.
The events in he book happen at recognizable places in Low Saxony.

3. Versions with places in Flanders all date from after 1628, and lend
several elements of the story from the Strasboug edition or its successors.

4. Supposing the Strassbourg edition was preceeded by a Flemish ancestor,
having originally Flemish names, later replaced by Low Saxon names etc. is
speculative and I don't think it can be substantialized.
I'm not aware of any Van Maerlant writings that contains elements to support
an involvement from his side in the creation of Tyl.
If there was anything Flemish about Tyl before 1520, than it is curious that
the Antwerp printers at that time were obviously not aware of it.

5. A comment in the Segers & Visscher edition about the name Ulenspiegel,
quote:
*In de streek van Mölln heet "kussen of likken" "uhlen", en het achterste
van viervoetig wild heet "Spiegel". Het is dus niet moeilijk om in 'uil en
spiegel' de uitdrukking 'uhl min Spiegel' te herkennen, wat zoveel wil
zeggen als "kus m'n gat", of nog platter "lik m'n reet".*

I'm not competent to give comments to the regional language.
However in literature of the time "word abuiguity" can often been
found, allowing as well a lecture for kids, as also a lecture for adults.

Regards,
Roger