LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.19 (03) [EN]

Mon Jul 20 00:56:08 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 July 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.07.17 (04) [EN]

Hello Roger (Thijs),

You wrote: I have a feeling *kroezele* comes from the French *groseilles*

The French word 'groseille' you .mentioned has a double meaning: "aalbes"
and "kruisbes". The idea that Limburgish and Getelands 'kroesel', meaning
"kruisbes", might be derived from the French 'groseille' sounds rather
tempting. But I wonder if it could be the other way round: groseile
coming from 'kroesel'. I myself thought that kroesel contained an u-relic,
i.e. a word in which the old Old Germanic long u /u:/ was preserved instead
of normally evolving into the diphthong ui . There are some more words with
an u-relic in our eastern dialects. Anyway, in my opnion kroesel is nothing
but kruis, folowed by an el-suffix.
Best regards,

Roger Hondshoven
Diest (East-Brabant) Belgium