LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.23 (03) [EN]

Thu Jul 23 23:27:15 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 July 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Andy Eagle <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2009.07.22 (01) [EN]

Wesley wrote:

 If I may butt in here - what sort of similarities are there between

(Southern)
English, Northumbrian and Scottish?

 We know that during the Old English period, the English kingdoms's
> influence

stayed pretty much south of the border, so whatever political effect English
has had on Scottish, it would not have been important during the Danelagh
days.

 The morphological changes in common are then the result of the Old Norse

speakers on the Old English/Old Scottish speakers on both sides of the
border - and if I remember my Scottish history correctly, the Norwegians
were
responsible for the Norse influences on Scotland, while it was mostly the
Danes responsible for the Norse influences on England.

 Just my 0.02c worth - and as usual, don't spend it all at once!

The original Anglian language (from about AD 500) of South East Scotland may
have been relatively unaffected by Scandinavian influence, few Scandinavian
place names exist. The Scandinavians were however Present in Caithness and
the Northern Isles. After the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 many Anglo
Normans also came to Scotland, with a large number of followers, from what
was once the Danelaw, who spoke Anglo-Scandinavian. That is perhaps the
source of much of the Scandinavian influence in Scots. If Scandinivian
influence was previously present in South East Scotland  it has likely been
masked by the later Anglo-Scandinavian influx.

Andy