LL-L "Technica" 2009.07.24 (01) [EN]

Fri Jul 24 18:07:05 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 July 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Technica was: LL-L "Language history" 2009.07.23 (02) [EN]

Thanks Ron for your extensive comment on tonality.

I have some problems with reading your message:
in *UTF-8*
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/cajot/utf8.jpg
in *Western European ISO*
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/cajot/weiso.jpg
in Weste*rn European Windows*
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/cajot/wewin.jpg

I use *MS Outlook Express 6* under *Windows XP*
Can it be *utf-8* is closest with what you have sent, except for *characters
not found and replaced by little squares*?
I'm sorry if this is a repeat and I lost somehow the recipee.
Does one need to download from somewhere on the web *extended character sets
* in windows, for dealing with this?
How to assure Outlook uses the extended character sets? By deleting all
other windows fonts before?

Generally is there good technical literature about, for reading e.g. a mixed
text with chinise; arabic, hebrew, european all in a same document:
- in mail with such combinations
- browsing web pages with such combinations
without getting little squares.

Similarely, if one wants to compose text with combined foreign character
sets, how to insure everything will be properly readable for the receiver
for:
- mail
- web pages
- word docs
- word docs after being turned into pdf.

Last question:
are there sets of the international phonetic alphabet available for use:
- in mail
- on webpages
- in word docs
- properly maintained in pdf conversions of word docs?

Sorry for this recurring item.
Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Hi, Roger!

I may not be the best person to answer this. I hope someone with more
know-how will. Also, I don't use Outlook anymore -- too unsafe.

I believe that where it deals with fonts and encoding in the configurations
you need to assign a suitable font to UTF-8 or to Unicode encoding. Since
you have Windows XP you should also have the font Arial Unicode MS. That one
would be ideal in that it contains all necessary IPA characters (which I
used in this case) and also the characters of many non-Roman scripts. Some
other general (non-language-specific) Unicode fonts will do as well.

If for some reason it doesn't work (yet) and you feel you really need to get
the information, I suggest you go the low-tech route: copy the text and
paste it into a word document, then highlight it and assign one of the said
Unicode fonts to it.

Best of luck, and many, many thanks for all your contributions and support!

Seattle, USA