LL-L "Grammar" 2009.06.08 (04) [EN]

Mon Jun 8 17:07:34 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 June 2009 - Volume 04

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2009.06.06 (04) [EN]

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org <mailto:list at marcusbuck.org>>

> But in this case it is not necessary to blame German influence. Some
> dialects have lengthened the vowel to 'komen' (and subsequently 'kamen'),
> but many others have kept the older unlengthened form 'kommen'. I think,
> there's a Wenker map for that, but the DIWA website is inaccessible at the
> moment. So 'kömming' could just as well be "real" Low Saxon.

There's no Wenker map for 'kamen' directly, but for the PPP (<
http://diwa.info/diwa/ECW.asp?ID1=312>), which should basically be the same
as the infinitive. And it seems I was wrong. I guess, I confused it with the
rather diverse lengthening distribution patterns of 'könnt'/'köönt' (or will
'kaamt' show similar diverse patterns?). At least the PPP is lengthened to
'kamen' in all of Mecklenburg. The only areas with non-lengthened forms are
some few places with aberrant forms in Mecklenburg and Vorpommern (and my
own dialect of "Stoder Geestplatt" which has 'kommen' too). But I'm not
sure, to which degree these findings apply to imperative and present tense
forms.

Marcus Buck