LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.06.08 (09) [EN]

Mon Jun 8 21:20:04 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 June 2009 - Volume 09

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.06.08 (06) [EN]

> From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2009.06.08 (04) [EN]
> And Roger, ne man, een vraa, e kind with 3 different articles for each
gender exists in every Brabantish dialect, although feminine and neuter are
starting to fall together into 'een' with most younger people.
> This three-way declension of articles usualyl also exists in Brabant for
adjectives in long vowel or diphthong + n,
ne kleine man, een klein vrou, e klei kind, ne schoënen otto, een schoën
vrou, e schoë vogelke/tje. Also here the neuter forms seem to add the +n of
the stem and feminine form again in younger dialect.
Does anyone have an idea why *brother* behaves *neuter:*

In my West-Limburgish (Vliermaal)

enne man
enne hond
enne platte keis

e(i)n vrouw
e(i)n kat
e(i)n toffel
e(i)n vinster
e(i)n dauchter,

ee keind, ee kinsje
ee vögelke, ee(n) appelke
ee(n) höske
*ee bruur, mee bruur* (a brother, my brother)

PS. I remember on the 4th class primary at the college of Tongeren (+- age
10 years) we had to use our (Tongerlandish) dialect forms for knowing the
gender in French:
main vinster, ma fenêtre
There were a few traps: main bootter (fem), le beurre (masc.)
We were also thought to reflect on the French form for deciding between ei
and ij in Dutch.
Le train -> de trein andt not de trijn.
I didn't check whether it is always correct. For me it was at least an
incentive to extend my language portefolio with rapidly absorbing a second
Limburgish variant (Tongerlandish). My first was Lonerlandish from
Vliermaal.
Contrary to the remainder of Belgian Limburg, Tongeren did never belong to
the County of Loon, but it was a direct dependency from the principality of
Liège. It was reputedly also germanized later than core-Limburg.

Regards,
Roger