LL-L "Technica" 2009.06.11 (02) [EN]

Thu Jun 11 16:34:46 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 June 2009 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technica

Hi, Lowlanders!

A visitor to our Anniversary site (http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/)
informed me that she can not download the Scottish Gaelic translation (
http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/gaidhlig.php), that it always defaults to
the help page. She can not access the MP3 sound files either.

In the meantime I have tried to recreate her problem. I tried various
computers at various places and with various Internet connections, including
using Safari on Macs, since this is what she uses. It's all to no avail.
Everything works just fine at my end.

She and I suspect that her problems has something to do with the firewall at
her institution in Scotland, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, Colaiste Ghàidhlig na
h-Alba, on the Isle of Skye (An t-Eilean Sgitheanach). I somewhat suspect
that something is not set correctly in her browser (Safari) as well.

Questions:

   - Does any of you have or used to have similar problems?
   - If you used to have such problems, how did you solve them?
   - Can any of you who knows or strongly suspects what needs to be done
   write up brief instructions and/or suggestions? We could post these as a
   part of all our on-line presentations.

The obvious aim is to make our presentations as accessible as possible
anywhere in the world.

Thanks in advance!

Seattle, USA