LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.13 (08) [EN]

Sun Jun 14 04:19:19 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 June 2009 - Volume 08

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear friends,

I'm afraid the etymological *bogle *has not yet had his fill of haunting the
Lowlands-L premises this fine Saturday night.

I am wondering about English "to rush" as a likely relative of Low Saxon
"rusch-" ([rʊʃ]) 'to rush (as of the sound of water, leaves or paper)', 'to
move in a way as to make such a sound', and 'to move forward with much
energy' (i.e. 'to rush').

I am pretty sure they *are* connected, also that they are connected with
German *rauschen* which these days is mostly confined to the idea of making
the sound of fast-running water or air.

Furthermore, Low Saxon has the diminutive-frequentive (-l-) form
*ruschel-*'to rustle', especially in reference to leaves and paper,
for instance
(equivalent to German *raschel-*).

Most interesting to me is the Low Saxon adjective/adverb *rusch* ([rʊʃ]) ~ *
ruusch* ([ruːʃ]) meaning things like 'energetic(ally)', 'casual(ly)' and
also 'crisp(ly)'. (This is one of the Low Saxon words that tend to fall
through the cracks because they have no German cognates.) It is difficult to
explain its usage. (See below.)

Connected with this is an adjectival phrase of the once very popular
alliterative sort: *risch un rusch*. *Risch*, another "un-German" word,
means things like 'fast', 'agile' and also 'slim' or 'slender'. So *risch un
rusch* denotes something with a lot of energy; e.g. *Risch un rusch nehmen
se jüm ähr Sch**üffeln, Forken un Blüßen un lepen to de Vullmacht **ähr Huus
an* ("With much energy and zeal they took their shovels, pitch forks and
torches and ran toward the squires house.").

I would be interested in reactions and expansions of this thread.

Thanks.

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA