LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.16 (01) [EN]

Tue Jun 16 14:36:56 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 June 2009 - Volume 01

From: Paddy Van Raepenbusch <paddy.vanraepenbusch at googlemail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Greeting!

First of all, I must tell you that I am just a neophyte when it comes
to linguistic issues!
My interest stems from my genealogical research in the origin of my
family name: Van Raepenbusch.
My earliest origin were traced back around the 1640 in
Roeselare/Brugge ( now Belgium)
Spelling variations found are: Vanraepenbusch, Vanrapenbusch (french
flanders) or simply Raepenbusch.

The origin of the name is most likely topographic where the "van" meant
"from".
Dr. Frans Debrabandere’s  “Dictionary of the Surnames in Belgium and
North France”, gives some suggestions of placename such as Rapenbos,
Rapenburg (Raepenburg),Rapenbusch-Bosschen...etc

I did found in an old map:“Flandriae Comitatus Pars Septentrionalis”
by N. Visscher ( abt. 1698), two references:
Rapenborg near today's town of Maldegem and
An estate called "Rapenburg" which according to historian, was a
freehold under the Ouburg of Ghent (13th century), today there is a
"Raepenburg" farm in that location (near Zomergem) where the remain of
a moat which surrounded the farm is still visible.
ref:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~noemeetjesland/meetjesland/zomergem.htm<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/%7Enoemeetjesland/meetjesland/zomergem.htm>

On another ancient map, the name is written Rupenburg with a windmill
at that location (map: “Carte du Comte’ de Flandre”  1704 by
Guillaume de L’Isle)

So much for historical references!

I have basically two questions:
1) The suffixes of my surname today being "-busch", could it have been
originally "-burg". Is this an "acceptable" hypothesis?

2) The origin of "raepen" still buggle my mind. In today's
interpretation it is often referred as a beet ( navet in french).
According to Killian’s “Etymologicum TeuTonicae Linguae” (1599), , the
word "raepen" relates to grab, take, gather...etc and by extension to
"thief" whereas in the  « Le grand dictionnaire francois et flamand »
by Pierre Richelet (1739), both interpretations are given, i.e. the
beet (navet) and to gather as in "Uyt alles kan men vruchten raepen".
Another interesting "dual" interpretation can be seen in a famous 17th
century painting by a Dutch Artist, Adriaen van de Venne (1589-1662) ,
“'Elck is om Raepen uit' (Dutch proverb: Everybody looks after their
own share) which depicts farmers gathering beets!
So what would be the most plausible interpretation on the origin of my
surname?

Thank you in advance for your help

--
Best Regards
Paddy

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Paddy!

Welcome to the speakers' corner!

It seems to me that the old *raepen* you're talking about is the cognate of
English "to reap".

The *raepen* in Raepenbusch seems to be a noun in the plural, though.

Seattle, USA