LL-L "Administrativia" 2009.06.21 (01) [EN]

Sun Jun 21 19:10:47 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 June 2009 - Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativia

Dear Lowlanders,

Yesterday I wrote the following:

As you may have noticed, mail delivery has been strange lately, beginning
from the time when our hosts installed new servers. Some of the mailings
arrive very late (I just got one I sent ca. 24 hours ago) and some seem not
to arrive at all, or not everyone receives them. All of them seem to arrive
in the archive, however (
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html).

In the meantime, a few of the mailings have arrived in my private mailbox.
Others have not yet arrived, but among them is one to which I already
received a response from one of you. So there appears to be some sort of
spotty back-up situation.

This may mean one of two things: (1) the server does not distribute mailings
as it should, especially during the past three days or so, or (2) the
problem has nothing to do with the server but is due to problems in email
transmission.

If 2 is the case I wonder if it has anything to do with the scramble to get
large volumes of messages out of and into Iran, considering problems related
to governmental communication blocks and innovative ways to circumvent them,
considering also the large number (400,00+) Iranian Americans, especially in
Southern California and in other locations here on the American West Coast,
not to mention large numbers of expatriate Iranians in Europe.

Talking about such, I am sure I speak for every Lowlander when I say,
irrespective of politics, that I hope our subscribers in Iran and their
friends and families are safe, also friends and families of our subscribers
with roots in Iran. I have checked with my Iranian friends that live outside
Iran, and all of them are quite worried. However the current situation is
going to play out, I hope that reason and compassion will prevail.

Seattle, USA