LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.21 (05) [EN-NL]

Sun Jun 21 19:34:36 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 June 2009 - Volume 05

From: Paddy Van Raepenbusch <paddy.vanraepenbusch at googlemail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.06.16

To Diederik

Thanks for answering my queries on some potential of the origin of
"raepenbusch" and the links provided.

"...Indeed 'raap' is the modern Dutch word for turnip, Latin name 'Brassica
 rapa'. In Amsterdam we also have a street name "Rapenburg", so I thought
I'd
 try to find the etymology on that one as it could be related to your story.
 Bu googling for that I actually found a reference to the Flemish one as you
 mentioned:

 *Vanaf de Stuiver liep hij immers rechtlijnig door via het Sompelstraatje
 (tot na de tweede wereldoorlog nog in gebruik) langsheen het Goed te
 Zoetendale (nu F. Standaert) tot aan het Hof Rapenburg (Bos, E. Verschelde)
 om, de grensstraat Waarschoot-Zomergem volgend, verderop de hierboven
 aangehaalde aansluiting te verwezenlijken. In het landboek van 1798 werd
hij
 aangeduid als de “Eekloosche voetweg”, wellicht de oudste verbinding tussen
 Eeklo en Gent. In de atlas van de buurtwegen van 1841 werd hij evenwel niet
 opgenomen, theoretisch toen reeds afgeschaft zijnde.*
 **...."

Best Regards
Paddy

----------

From: Paddy Van Raepenbusch <paddy.vanraepenbusch at googlemail.com>

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your reply.

"... It seems to me that the old *raepen* you're talking about is the
cognate of
 English "to reap".
 The *raepen* in Raepenbusch seems to be a noun in the plural, though...."

The relationship with the english word "to reap" makes sense as in old
dutch text, it is often used in the sense of "taking, gather, pick
up..etc"
It is also found in the figurative sense as in:
"Uyt een anders onvoorfichtighieyd kan men voor zig felven eene goede
les raepen."
And by association, ( I don't know what came first, the egg or the
hen),  between "raep" (=turnip) and the verb "raepen" (=
pulling,gathering).

I did also found a reference to a forest called "rappenbusch" in
germany (Schifferstadt), the german translation of "rappen" being
"black horse"! How this relates to the dutch "raepen" is another
story!

Best Regards
Paddy

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Paddy!

At first I thought, "Forget about the *Rappen* thing." But then I thought,
"Hmm ... Wait a moment."

German *Rappe* (plural *Rappen*) means 'black horse' as you mentioned. It
comes from Middle German *rappe* 'raven'. (Modern Standard German has
*Rabe*'raven' but retained
*Rappe* 'black horse' as an archaism.)

Modern Dutch has *raaf* (phonemically /raav/) for 'raven' (plural *raven*).

Could it be that *raepen* as an older southern Dutch equivalent of
*raven*became fossilized in the name Raepenbusch, equivalent to what
would be
**Ravenbos* in Modern Standard Dutch? Are there any other instances in which
older southern /p/ is equivalent to modern standard /v/ (as in the German
case mentioned above)?

So, if this hypothesis holds any water, Raepenbusch could be analyzed as
"Raven(s)bush".

Seattle, USA