LL-L "History" 2009.06.28 (01) [EN]

Sun Jun 28 15:34:16 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 June 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Tom Mc Rae <thomas.mcrae at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.06.27 (07) [EN]

On 28/06/2009, at 11:49 AM, Tom (Mc Rae) wrote:

One was set up outside a church in Edinburgh's High Street, probably after
1603 for market produce to be weighed prior to selling at the market
adjacent to St Giles High Church.

On reflection I can't help wondering if those devices were introduced to
Scotland much earlier  when the Flemish weavers came and set up their
communities.
Such weavers would have required a weighing device for their wool purchases.
Had the device come from England it would probably have been called a
 steelyard or steleyaird.

  Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane
AUSTRALIA
"Oh wad some power the Giftie gie us,
Tae see oorsels as ithers see us
Robert Burns

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
 Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.06.27 (04) [EN]

 Thanks for all these interesting explanations on "Steelyard", dear Reinhard
& Tom! So "Steel-yard" was originally an English word and means something
like "Stell-Balken" or "Eisen-Balken" either for the beam itself or for the
iron counterweights. (Being a lay person, I like things simple and I like
the idea that *one* explanation is "true" :-)) And the "Easterlings", after
first taking "steelyard" as a Fremdwort and writing it "Stiliard", later
translated it naively into "Stahlhof", mistaking the true meaning. I love
this. Maybe the word was so old they couldn't make out the true etymology
even then?

Hartlich

Marlou
(Hamborg/Holsteen)