LL-L "What does it mean?" 2009.06.29 (03) [DE-EN]

Mon Jun 29 15:29:25 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 June 2009 - Volume 03
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2009.06.29 (01) [DE

*Down By The Salley Gardens*
(*Irish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language>:
Gort na Saileán*) is a poem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poem> by William
Butler Yeats <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Butler_Yeats> published
in The Wanderings of Oisin and Other
Poems<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wanderings_of_Oisin_and_Other_Poems>in
1889 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889>. Yeats indicated in a note that it
was "an attempt to reconstruct an old song from three lines imperfectly
remembered by an old peasant woman in the village of Ballisodare,
Sligo<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Sligo>,
who often sings them to
herself."[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_By_The_Salley_Gardens#cite_note-0>Yeats's
original title, "An Old Song Re-Sung", reflected this; it first
appeared under its present title when it was reprinted in *Poems* in
1895<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1895>
.[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_By_The_Salley_Gardens#cite_note-1>The
verse was subsequently set to music by Herbert
Hughes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hughes_%28musicologist%29> to
the air <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_%28music%29> *The Maids of t he
Mourne Shore* in 1909. In the 1920s composer Rebecca
Clarke<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Clarke>(1886-1979) set the
text to music.
[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_By_The_Salley_Gardens#cite_note-2>There
is also a vocal setting by the poet and composer Ivor
Gurney <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Gurney>, which was published in
1938.
"Salley" is an anglicisation of the Irish *saileach*, meaning
*willow<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow>
*, i.e., a tree of the genus *Salix*. Willows are known as "salleys",
"sallies" or "salley trees" in parts of
Ireland.[1]<http://www.hiberno-english.com/body.php?id=1484>
 Poem Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet; She passed the
salley gardens with little snow-white feet. She bid me take love easy, as
the leaves grow on the tree; But I, being young and foolish, with her did
not agree. In a field by the river my love and I did stand, And on my
leaning shoulder she laid her snow-white hand. She bid me take life easy, as
the grass grows on the weirs; But I was young and foolish, and now am full
of tears. *[David Clarke]*

From: Hannelore Hinz  <HanneHinz at t-online.de>
Subject: Sprache

Liebe Experten,

am 26. Juni hörte ich mit Freude auf der BUGA (Bundesgartenschau) ein
ausgezeichnetes Musik-Programm  (Musik und Gesang) mit dem Titel:
"The Sally Gardens - Irish & Scottish Folk". Die heiteren und besinnlichen
Melodien (Balladen) trafen meinen Nerv.
Drei Künstlerinnen E-Geige, E-Gitarre und E-Bass musizierten *non stop *mit
Spaß an der Sache fast zwei Stunden. Das war eine große Leistung!
Ich bemühte mich, den Titel "The Sally Gardens" auf Hochdeutsch zu bringen,
aber bitte nicht schmunzeln (Der Ausbruch Garten ...20Der blühende
Garten...), na ja, es gibt ja keine dummen Fragen ...

Beste Grüße.

Hanne