LL-L "Music" 2009.03.09 (01) [E/German]

Mon Mar 9 17:58:26 UTC 2009

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2009.03.08 (03) [E/German]

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com <mailto:mwmosaka at gmail.com>>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2009.03.08 (01) [E/German]

Paul wrote:

Given that you could walk or ride from the Atlantic to the Pacific without
getting your (or your horse's) feet wet

Hmmmm, I'm trying to think ... IS there a route you can take which doesn't
have to cross a major river here or there? I'm not an EXPERT on geography,
but can't think of one. (Although I HAVE walked across a major river without
getting my KNEES wet ... and without benefit of bridges ... Central Gangetic
Plain's dry season changes that geography completely!)

You just have to follow the watersheds (map: <
http://www.cec.org/naatlas/img/NA-Watersheds.gif>). Starting from Virginia
for example you easily reach the Appalachians. You have to follow the ridge
of the Appalachians northwards almost till Lake Erie. Then westwards, moving
through Chicago (streams in the west of Chicago already flow to the
Mississippi), then through Missouri and North Dakota. You reach Canada while
avoiding the Missouri tributaries. Further avoiding the Columbia tributaries
you end up in Long Beach, Washington. Of course there are other ways too.
But they all will lead through Chicago cause its the only gap between the
Mississippi-Missouri Basin and the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence system - except
you like the cold and start in Newfoundland...

Of course this is all about natural waterways. You still have to cross the
man-made Illinois Waterway. But if we count the Illinois Waterway we have to
count bridges too, which would make it fairly easy ;-)

Marcus Buck

----------

From: Mari Sarv <mari at haldjas.folklore.ee>

Some photographs and an *old* article about Estonian torupill:
http://www.users.on.net/~kustas/torupill/<http://www.users.on.net/%7Ekustas/torupill/>

My father and three or four uncles were present in revival-course around
1970 described there.

A couple of years ago our folklore archives succeeded to get the
deciphred/digitalised variants of the wax cilinder recordings of bagpipe
from 1921.

Mari Sarv,
Tartu
Estonia

 From:Hannelore Hinz  <HanneHinz at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2009.03.07 (04) [E]

Liebe Lowlanders,

hier noch ein Nachklang  vom bemerkenswerten Treffen der Dudelsackspieler im
Freilichtmuseum
Schwerin.

http://www.absolut-mecklenburg.eu/root/portal/index.php?seite=496&to_print=1

http://www.pipenunlyren.de