LL-L "Geography" 2009.03.10 (01) [E]

Tue Mar 10 14:15:27 UTC 2009

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Music"

Beste Paul,

 Mike:

I guess you could go far enough upstream to get round the rivers!

If you follow mountain ridges (like Marcus wrote) you could indeed avoid
having to cross rivers. But then your feet might get wet again because of
(melting) snow at high altitudes *s*. Besides, I don't think horses are very
keen on technical climbing.

 And Luc:

Going underneath is just plain cheating.

I wonder if famous Dutchman Bram van der Stok, would have agreed if you
would have told him *s*.

During WW II, he was a POW who managed to escape from concentration camp
Stalag Luft III, digging a tunnel under the well guarded camp. 76 escaped,
but 73 were caught again by the Germans. Bram and two Norwegians succeeded
however.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Arctic , Alantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans, plus the Black
Sea/Mediteranean, are all separate drainage basins. Mathematically, there is
bound to be a drainage-free path between them. It would be a hell of a long
way though....

As you say, man-made watercourses can cut across, but they have bridges too.

But most imprtantly, rising from the discussion, there really is no "Europe"
in any physical geographic or geological basis; it's an open door.  The
Urals are nominally taken as the boundary, but there is a gap over 500km
wide between the southern end of the Urals and the Caspian Sea, that is
as flat as pool table most of the way.  Plenty of room to squeeze a bagpipe
through!

Paul