LL-L "Holidays" 2009.03.10 (03) [E]

Tue Mar 10 14:21:46 UTC 2009

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2009.03.09 (07) [E]

R/R wrote:

Happy Mawlid (*Mawlidu al-Nabiyyi* مَوْلِدُ آلنَبِيِّ‎, Birth of the
Prophet) to our Muslim Lowlanders!

AKA Id-e-Milad / Id-un-Nabi (Id-e-Milad-un-Nabi in full: birth of Prophet
Muhammad (PBUH)) ere in Bombay.

Tomorrow (Wednesday 11 March) is Holi here in India (Festival of Colour:
होळी / होली / હોળી / ਹੋਲੀ / হোলি / ഹോളി / హోలీ ... it is actually a 2-day
festival, but tomorrow is the "official" holiday.)

 As I have no old clothes I need to throw away, and have a distaste
for agression -- especially aimed at myself -- I plan to stay inside locked
doors ... and shoot pictures from my balcony! Best of BOTH worlds.

On March 14, happy Sikh New Year (*Vaisākhī *ਵੈਸਾਖਿਇ)!

I think the ਇ at the end is a typo .. it should be ਵੈਸਾਖੀ with long final /ī/
rather than TWO short /i/'s. ... ਹੈੱਪੀ ਬੈਸਾਖੀ!

On March 21, happy New Year (*Nowrûz* نوروز etc.) to our Persian, Kurdish,
Central Asian, Albanian, Zoroastrian and Baha'í friends.

Actually the Zoroastrians here in Bombay (Parsis) have THREE New Years (a
dispute over calendars!). And in the accomodating way Parsis have, rather
than insist on their OWN way of doing things, they celebrate ALL THREE!
(Especially when,as with one of our trustees, there is inter-sect marraige
... which due to a dwindling population is increasingly common)

Also happy Solstice to all Pagans and Celticists!

And if we stretch the months calendar just a bit, March 27th is Gudi Padwa
... and Telugu New Year!

(I once thought I would tell my employer that as far a holidays are
concerned I only wanted every New Years day off. And then, after they
agreed, I would inform them that I would be taking EVERY New Year's ...
whenever celebrated by ANY group. Here in Bombay alone that would work out
to 4-5 more paid holidays than on the official government calendar!)

mwm

bombay

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>

And, sahme on me, I forgot:

March 26th is Prince Kūhiō (*Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalaniana**ʻ**ole*) Day!

Hau`oli Lā Hānau, E kamāli`i kāne!

U C > || mwm
Dr Michael W Morgan
Ishara Foundation || ईशारा फॉउंडेशन  || イシャラ基金
Mumbai/Bombay *|* मुंबई *|* ムンバイ/ボンベイ (インド)
www.ishara.org
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.