LL-L "History" 2009.03.12 (06) [E/LS/German]

Thu Mar 12 19:27:17 UTC 2009

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>

Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.03.12 (02) [E]

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Geography" 2009.03.11 (03) [E]
>
> Luc wrote:
>
> Coming full circle: A couple of days ago, a Spanish
> historian claimed
> Christopher Columbus was actually...a Scotsman...named
> Pedro Scotto
>
>  That seems entirely feasible.  But mariners at that time,
> be they
> explorers, pirates, traders or fishermen (the boundaries
> were fuzzy) were a
> bit of a community in their own right.  They had a mobility
> and freedom
> unheard of amongst most mediaeval people, even those at the
> top of the
> social order. "Columbus", whoever he was,
> certainly visited Bristol in
> England, and quite probably Iceland.
[...]

Hello,

Sorry to spoil the fun.
As far as I could follow the 'Columbus-story':
The Icelanders said: Colombus knew about America.
The only ones to know about America were the Icelanders.
So Columbus must have been in Iceland.

Sigh.

vr. gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.03.12 (03) [E]

...and here http://www.vertelln.de/pdf/ulenspeigel_un_stoertebeker.pdf is a
very good piece of today's low-saxon fiction about Störtebeker. The Platt is
from western Sauerland/Westphalia. The author mixes the stories of two
Lowlands' legends. Really worth reading, though hard stuff for those who are
not used to westphalian platt :-)

Hartlich!

Marlou