LL-L "History" 2009.03.14 (02) [E]

Sat Mar 14 17:33:10 UTC 2009

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Literature"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

*By the way, many have romanticized Störtebeker's life and have given him a
type of Robin Hood status, as reflected in the annual Störtebeker Plays on
the Isle of Rugia (Rügen). And they have quite vilified poor Simon. His
statue in Hamburg was decapitated in 1985:*

OK, got it. So the Hanze stands for proto capitalism and Störtebeker is
(nowadays) perceived as the savior of poor (Eastern) Germans. Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

Störtebeker's name seems to be explained as "the one who swiftly downs his
mug"...may be true, but I'd like to add that in Brabantish "störten" (stötn)
means "to spill a liquid". Maybe Störtebeker was just a clumsy drinker?
Which doesn't need to be qualified as negative, I remember being offered a
drink in Ukraine, and more often than not, the host didn't stop when my
glass was full, but kept on pouring until he was spilling over the
side...just to show his generosity.

More here:

http://tinyurl.com/dk4m4j

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Hi, Luc!

I assume that this thing about Störtebeker's last name is a case of folk
etymology, perhaps already created in his lifetime ("Look how he pours down
the beer, true to his name!")

If it were German it would be something like Stürz(e)bacher. The verb *
störten* (German *stürzen*) has basic meanings like "to fall heavily", "to
plummet", "to crash". In connection with *Bääk (Beek*) (brook, rivulet) it
suggests the rushing of fast streaming water.

By the way, I also believe that his everyday first name was Claas or Klaas.
This would have been consistent with the language at that time (in a
continuum with the Dutch-speaking region). The Claus ~ Claas version
probably came about under (Greek *Νικόλαος* >) Latin (*Nicolaus*) and/or
German (> *Nicolaus ~ Nikolaus* > *Claus ~ Klaus*) influences.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas#Male_variations

But -- who knows? -- maybe Meester Störtebeker began as a Bavarian or even
-- shucks! -- Austrian interloper named Nicolaus Stürzebacher. As you know,
they can be trouble. ;-)

What you wrote about letting liquids overflow is a very widespread custom
symbolizing generosity and/or abundance ~ blessing. It is very much the
custom connected with Jewish blessings, such as those on the Eve of Sabbath
(on Friday night). The celebrant pours more wine into the chalice than it
can hold and the liquid flows into a saucer. I have observed this
overflowing ritual in Central Asian and Chinese societies as well, where it
is reserved for hospitality and celebratory rituals. This one at least I
consider a Eurasian areal feature that reaches all the way across to Eastern
Europe (at the very least).