LL-L "Language use" 2009.03.20 (03) [E]

Fri Mar 20 22:34:40 UTC 2009

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Language Use

ATC (Air traffic control in a former CIS country):

   *ABC123 Cleared for take off on runway 29*

Pilot:

   *ABC123 Sorry, We have a dog on the runway*

ATC;

   Pause.

   *ABC123 Repeat*

Pilot

   *ABC123 Sorry, We have a dog on the runway*

ATC:

   *What is dog?*

That is what happens when controllers and pilots only know aviation English.

Air Traffic Management, Issue of Spring 2009, has a cover story on:

*    Broken English*

*    The language scandal that could soon turn into tragedy*

    (title on the cover)

I scanned that article and leave it on my website for just a few days.

Copyrights may apply:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/01.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/25.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/26.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/27.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/28.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/29.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/31.jpg

*(p 30 is skipped because it is an advertising page)*

Enjoy (or Worry?)

Regards,

Roger