LL-L "Language use" 2009.03.21 (01) [E]

Sat Mar 21 17:54:23 UTC 2009

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language use"

You wrote:

ATC (Air traffic control in a former CIS country):

            *ABC123 Cleared for take off on runway 29*

Pilot:

            *ABC123          Sorry, We have a dog on the runway*

ATC;

            Pause.

            *ABC123 Repeat*

Pilot

            *ABC123          Sorry, We have a dog on the runway*

ATC:

            *What is dog?*

That is what happens when controllers and pilots only know aviation English.

Air Traffic Management, Issue of Spring 2009, has a cover story on:

**

*Broken English*

*The language scandal that could soon turn into tragedy*

(title on the cover)

I scanned that article and leave it on my website for just a few days.

Copyrights may apply:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/01.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/25.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/26.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/27.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/28.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/29.jpg

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/31.jpg

*(p 30 is skipped because it is an advertising page)*

Enjoy (or Worry?)

Worry. 'Cause there's no balance.

In aviation, English only became lingua franca after WW II. Still, many
native speakers have never made a reasonable effort to adapt their speech
when addressing non-native speakers. Especially in situations of vital
importance (aviation) this is plain wrong in my opinion. One reason could be
that native speakers don't know enough about structure, sound and rhythm of
other languages. "Empathy" is where it all starts guys.

At the same time, it's true as well that language education in some
countries is just not up to standards. Pretty often too much emphasis on
grammar methinks.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx