LL-L "Travels" 2009.03.21 (02) [E]

Sat Mar 21 19:24:27 UTC 2009

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

Dear Roger,

Recently you wrote:

I'm in *Hamburg* for a meeting on March 25 in the late afternoon and I have
spare time for doing some shopping on March 25 and 26.

I'm looking for *book-shops* downtown having some shelves with books written
*in regional language variants* and books about *regional history*. For
these subjects I also look for antiquarian bookshops, since some of these
publications are published by local associations and hard to find elsewhere.

Since no one has responded so far, at least not on the List, I will give you
at least something, even though in private correspondence I told you that my
information is dated and spotty since I visit Hamburg very infrequently and
have to reinvent the wheel every time.

So far I have not found the ideal store for your and my purposes. One in
which I found a fair bit of material (due to its large stock) is
(unfortunately?) a business chain. In among masses of books for the mass
market you can find some books of interest to you. The chain is called
Thalia:
http://www.thalia.de/shop/tha_homestartseite/show/

Though founded 1919 in Hamburg, it now has branches in other German cities
as well, 11 of them in Hamburg and at least three of these in the downtown
area:

http://www.service.thalia.de/thalia.google.map.php?vst=361
http://www.service.thalia.de/thalia.google.map.php?vst=344

http://www.service.thalia.de/thalia.google.map.php?vst=343

They are all pretty much within easy walking distance from each other, also
from City Hall Square (Rathausmarkt). In my experience, they do not have the
same stock selection. The second one listed above is particularly large and
is situated on a Fleet (something like a gracht).

If you can find the time, check out the Hamburger Bücherstube Felix Jud
(decidedly not a chain) at Neuer Wall 13, also within easy walking distance
from the other places.

There are lots of bookstores to check out in the university district, on and
around Rothenbaumchausee, not far from the convention center at Dammtor on
the edge of downtown. A bit westward, virtually a part of the university
district, there is the Grindel neighborhood (Allende-Platz, Hallerstraße,
Grindelberg, http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindel_(Hamburg)) with its
characteristic high-rise condo blocks (Grindelhochhäuser,
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindelhochh%C3%A4user, Grindelberg,
Hallerstraße, Brahmsallee and Oberstraße). Incidentally, this used to be a
significant Jewish neighborhood, and it is now being revived as such. Check
out newly established Café Leonar, a culture and book center (Grindelhof 59,
http://www.cafeleonar.de/).

So much from me about this, at least for now.

Seattle, USA