LL-L "Travels" 2009.03.22 (01) [E]

Sun Mar 22 08:35:40 UTC 2009

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2009.03.21 (03) [E]

> From: "Kay W. Sörensen"

> Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2009.03.21 (02) [E]

> Meet me at night. Phone number below.

Thanks for the tips and for the invitation

When traveling, I try to combine business with cheap flight rates, which
usually gives some time left for some prospection of the area and doing some
shopping. For the latter books/CDs about regional history and languages are
within my focus.

Btw I'm interested in finding a *bilingual edition of the Heliand*.

At home I just have an old grammar in Dutch:

J. Van De Ven, *Gebruik van naamvallen, tijden en wijzen in den **'Heliand",
* 1893, Gent, A. Siffer, vi + 237 pp.

I'm not a linguist, just interested in languages.

For next week I'm bound by an event on Wednesday evening:

The event is at:

Handelskammer, 20457 Hamburg, *Adolphsplatz 1*, "Elbe-Zimmer" (1. OG), 18.30
Uhr
It starts at:
*18:30 Veranstaltungsbeginn & Begrüßung, *

and it ends (or starts ending) with:
*21:00 Ausklang und "Get-Together" in der im Rathaus gelegenen Gastronomie
"Parlament".*

The Adolphsplatz is at the backside of the Rathaus.

I stay for the night in the Sofitel at the *Alter Wall* nearby.

This is all convenient between the stops *Jungfernstieg* and *
Stadthausbrücke* on the S-Bahn coming from the airport.

Since for an evening event above 200 km from home I usually loose the "day
before" and the "day after" as business days anyhow, I usually try to plan
them both fully at the visited town. In this case LH gave the best
combination of time and rate

I will arrive at *Fuhlsbüttel (HAM) aiport* at 9:50 am on the 25th and leave
at 18 hrs (6 pm) on the 26th.

Since the airport is within the city tariff circuit, when arriving I will
buy a *Hamburg Card* for each of those days, giving me complete flexibility
on U-Bahn, S-Bahn and busses downtown.

http://www.hamburg-tourism.de/suchen-buchen/hamburg-card-co/hamburg-card/

Which practically gives me some free time Wednesday 25th afternoon before 18
hrs (and after 22 hrs) and Thursday 26th all day till about 15 hrs.

I will mail my GSM number privately. If convenient we can have at drink at
the Sofitel around 17 hrs on Wednesday.

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Travels

> Since no one has responded so far, at least not on the List, I will give
you at least something

Thanks very much Ron. I will certainly include your tips in my shopping
tour. I will give feed-back after my return.

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

You are most welcome, dear Roger.

Please bear in mind that downtown is an expensive real estate and high rent
area, which I believe is the reason for small, specialized bookshops being
forced out and chains moving in, or, as in the case of Thalia, small
bookstores developing into chains. However, there are lots of other
interesting stores to see if you walk in the area around the Town Hall
(Rathaus), Gänsemarkt, Colonaden, and Art Museum (Kunsthalle), and this
includes side streets.

The Parlament in the town hall is where the old Ratsweinkeller used to be,
and it has been renovated to accommodate large functions. It has been
getting mixed reviews. It does have on its menu several of the traditional
North German dishes you listed recently. Promising restaurants with North
German cuisine: Daniel Wischer (Spitaler Straße 12), Pfeffersack
(Adolphsplatz 1), Unter Deck (An der Alster 14, inside Hotel Bellevue), and
Speicher 52 (ABC-Straße 52).

Roger, try to visit the Krameramtsstuben at Krayenkamp next to St. Michael's
Church (Sankt Michaelis, "der Michel", Hamburgs landmark). It's as close to
Old Hamburg as you can get these days. You can see the old Hanseatic welfare
housing inside and out. And you get a great view of the city from top of the
Michel (incidentally one of the finest neo-classicistic church buildings
around, and Napoleon changing it into horse stables didn't change that).

At and around the main station (Hauptbahnhof) and on Mönckebergstraße, the
main shopping drag leading from the station to Town Hall Square
(Rathausmarkt), please exercise reasonable caution, since some
less-than-savory characters are likely to mingle with the crowds.

Bon voyage, Roger, and shout "Hummel, Hummel!" when you get there!

Seattle, USA