LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.05.02 (04) [E]

Sun May 3 00:49:57 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 May 2009 - Volume 04

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

Beste Ron,

On 02/05/09, at 20:38, Lowlands-L List wrote:

Many Americans eat out all the time. Many do not even know how to cook. (If
they don't eat out they'll heat store-bought frozen dinners in their
microwave ovens.) So eating out casually is similar to eating at home.
That's in a different class from the occasional visit to a fancy restaurant.

When I was working in China, I also had dinner in incredibly small eateries,
every single day, just like many other Chinese. Everything was so small,
that the kitchen was actually inside the dining room, so the atmosphere was
even more than casual (Chinese eating styles can be a bit different from
ours, putting it mildly). Everything was happening within eyesight and no
formality whatsoever. Yet, I never met a waiter or waitress who would ask me
if she could take my plate or bowl away. Not even after I had finished. And
believe me, these places were crowded: jostling business. When a guest has
left the place, that's when you take it away. This is not a matter of being
casual or not, it's a matter of imposing yourself or not.

It's no coincidence that a waiter is called a wait-er. If a waiter can't
wait, he's no waiter in my opinion.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx