LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.05.03 (04) [E]

Sun May 3 21:44:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 May 2009 - Volume 04

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2009.05.03 (02) [E]

Paul wrote:
Interestingly, as a kid I was taught that the polite thing to do when
finished eating was to place the knife and fork together on the plate, in
the "6:30" position as it were.  That was supposed to signal "I'm done".
The custom has probably vanished now, though I still do it anyway from
habit.

In Belgium I learned as a child that "10:10" is when you want more/a
refill or are not finished yet and just need a break (the fork being on the
left of course at 10, the knife on 2 o clock), putting them together at 2 o
clock means you're done. I still do this, but I never pay attention if
people here in the Netherlands do this - I'll spy on my roommates while
eating tonight.
Therefore (altho maybe not everyone uses this rule here) I find it
strange/annoying in restaurants when they want to take away my plate when
it's clearly on 10 past 10.

Greets,Diederik

From: Mel Vassey, DVM <mel.vassey at gmail.com>