LL-L "Orthography" 2009.05.08 (01) [EN]

Fri May 8 16:54:29 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 May 2009 - Volume 01

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.04.28 (01) [E]

One more question on this list, sometimes you write nouns consequently with
capital letter, a¨s Wedder, Wäär , but by Wett/wet, Weh/wey it seems your
'Less HG' spelling prefers small letters, the more HG influenced spelling no
capitals. What is most commonly agreed on by LS writers? Can I omit capitals
also in words like Wäär where you didnt spell them without? (same for Wepse,
which I until further notice added as 'wespe')
Greetings!
Diederik

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Orthography

Hi, Diederik!

The auxiliary Algemeyne Schryvwys' follows the English, Dutch, etc. pattern;
i.e. no noun capitalization.

I didn't add the AS versions were the spelling was the same otherwise.
Sorry. I realize that was confusing for you.

Wedder (wedder)
Wäär (weer)
Wett (wet)
Weh (wey)

All Modern-German-based systems use noun capitalization. However, some
writers, especially poets, omit noun capitalization.

German has *Wespe* 'wasp'. Low Saxon has metathesis here: *Weps ~ Wöps* (in
some dialects still *Wepse*), AS *weps* ~ *w**ö**ps* ~ *wepse*. For the same
thing, some dialects have *Wispel* (*wispel*), others *Jietel *(*jytel*) or
*Jiddel *(*jiddel*).

Seattle, USA