LL-L "Language politics" 2009.05.11 (03) [AF-EN]

Mon May 11 14:31:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 May 2009 - Volume 03

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

Beste John,
You wrote:

Roger Thijs wrote
Since (*many) Flemish people* speak both Dutch *and French* (+ eventually
local varieties),
there is no incentive for French people to speak Dutch. Why should they? For
fairness? *Who does such an effort just for fairness?*

I believe the French people are being unfair to themselves.

They are losing the opportunity of adding another great literature in
Nederlands to their own great literature.
Vondel, Hoofdt and even Vadertje Cats or Bredero can only be to their
advantage. Translations are mostly wan and pale things that lack life.

As mens iets raak wil sê moet mens soms 'n ander taal se sê- goed hê.

Nowadays, given the choice, I think most Walloons prefer to study English
instead of Dutch. If Dutch (economic) resurgence in Belgium would have
happened fifty years ago, it might have been different. Those happy few
Walloons that will take up a third language may even consider Spanish.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: Your family name would be "Verschueren, Verscheure, Schuermans..." and
the like in Dutch.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Language politics

Thanks, Luc *et al.*!

We mustn't forget that most Walloons speak French as a second language,
though that shouldn't be an excuse for anything.

So everything clearly points to the fact that Walloons consider the Dutch
language inconsequential. Theoretically, this alone should explain some of
the anger felt by Northern Belgians. On the other hand, Dutch speakers
themselves often act as though they consider their own language
inconsequential, certainly when foreigners want to learn it and they answer
in "major" languages.

You could argue that all this is pragmatic on a certain level: learning
"key" languages and ignore the rest. This is very common in Europe.

And, while I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I must add that this
"Belgian anomaly" may be a case of "the chickens coming home to roost (and
taking their time doing so)". Didn't it all begin with the Protestant vs.
Catholic rift in which religion was considered more important than common
language and culture? Of course, the French and Spanish "defenders" did
their bit. But the long and short of it is that Southern Dutch speakers and
their Romance-speaking bedfellows don't really get along. Sorry if I crossed
the line here.

Seattle,USA