LL-L "Travels" 2009.05.11 (04) [EN]

Mon May 11 19:18:45 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 11 May 2009 - Volume 04

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Travels

 I drafted the message below for some contacts in Hawaii, as info of what's
happening here around the canonization of Father Damien in October.
I think it contains several elements for considering a trip to Leuven (and
Tremelo) so I forward this also to the Lowlands list.
The burgomaster of Tremelo invited, through the proper channels, B. Obama
for the October festivities. Up to now an unspecified presence of high US
level is promissed.

 *Subject:* Events related to the canonization of Father Damien

----  A Father Damien year is set up in Belgium from May 10 this year till
May 10 next year, at the occasion of the canonization in Rome on october 11.
The core message for the year is "Damien gives inspiration":
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha01.jpg

In Leuven, the place where Damien is buried, it started this Sunday with a
Mass in the chapel of the picpus-fathers followed by the opening of an
exhibition of new work about Damian, partly by known artists, partly by kids
of the organizing Damien school.

The event was reported on VRT, Belgian Flemish TV, including an interview of
father F. Gorissen in front of the chapel;
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/pre01.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/pre02.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/pre03.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/pre04.jpg

*The Mass* was basically in Dutch, with some sections in Spanish and
Indonesian,
(though translated into Dutch in the booklet)
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/mis.pdf

*The chapel* has a long history
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/chap.pdf
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha02.jpg

One enters at a kind of mezzanine level

Up it goes to the chapel with a core section ffor Mass services
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha03.jpg
and a side section for worship of Damien
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha04.jpg

Down it goes to the crypt
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha05.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha06.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/cha07.jpg

As to the information note (in Dutch)
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh.pdf
*the exhibition* is set up by a school and combines work of known artists
with works by kids of the school.
It was formally opened by the rector of Leuven University:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh01.jpg

I was most charmed with this little statue maid by pupils of the 3d year
welding:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh02.jpg

A random selection of other works:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh03.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh04.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh05.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh06.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh07.jpg

One will recognize the coast at Kalawao on this one;
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/exh08.jpg

It is worthwhile to visit the chapel and combine with a visit of the *town
of Leuven* with:
the central university HQ from 1317
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv01.jpg
the St Pieters church 1475 with many renovations
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv02.jpg
the St Michael church, dating from 1671
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv08.jpg
The town hall from 1468
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv03.jpg
The first university library was destroyed by the Germans during WWI
With American support a new library was build,
but it suffered seriously from bombing in WWII
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv04.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv05.jpg
The building was financed by gifts from several US Educational institutions.
Dozens of rememberance blocs quote their names, 2 samples:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv06.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/dam/lv07.jpg

For further reading

http://www.damiaanvandaag.be
related to the Damien center in Leuven
http://www.damiaaninstituut.be/
the school that prepared the exhibition
http://www.leuven.be/
the website of the town of Leuven

http://www.tremelo.be
the website of the town where Damien was born, about 20 miles North of
Leuven
with a Damien museum
http://www.tremelo.be/442_nl.html

Regards,
Roger
PS. dating of my camera is offset for one day.
The pictures will stay on my website for 2 weeks.