LL-L "Travels" 2009.05.16 (03) [EN]

Sun May 17 00:58:46 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 May 2009 - Volume 03

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Travels

1. Transvaal
2. Stokkel kermis
3. Transvaal st (Kuregem)
4. Unexpected Encounters

1 - For visiting *Transvaal*, just take the bus:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao01.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao02.jpg
I actually was curious to find out why the Brussels Suburb of Oudergem has a
section Transvaal, cf. map
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traomap.jpg
So I toke the metro to terminus H Debroux, and bus "42 Transvaal" from
there.
Transvaal in Oudergem has had to do with the real Transvaal:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvaal_(Auderghem)#Quartier_du_Transvaal<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvaal_%28Auderghem%29#Quartier_du_Transvaal>
The quarter got its name because at the area there has been a *factory
producing munition for the Boers in the Boerwar.*
There has been a *Transvaal street,* but it is renamed now as *
Meunierstreet.*
The name Transvaal is visible on several houses and shops, some samples:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao03.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao04.jpg
I could not find any trace of the former factory in the Meunier street:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao05.jpg
downhill: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao06.jpg
uphill: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao07.jpg
Most remarkable building in Transvaal is the Sacré Coeur school:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao08.jpg
with a green (garden) area in front, in French *clos*, in Dutch *gaarde*
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao09.jpg
(Since many indications are bilingual, it is always interesting to compare
the terminology in both languages)
Hiking back the Chaudron street to the Debroux Metro station, it goes
downhill and gives a panoramic view on the overside of the *Woluwe valley*:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao10.jpg
Actually the profile of the Brussels capital region is quite hilly and
especially marked by three rivers fom South to North:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/bruriv.jpg
The *Zenne* is on the map from the bottom left to the middle on top:
downtown Brussels is actually situated here
The *Maalbeek*, the little river in the middle.
The Belgian parliament and the Kings Palace are on the hill between these
two rivers.
The Maalbeel valley separates the Belgian governmental quarter from the
European Administrative quarter, which is on the hill between the Maalbeek
and the *Woluwe river* at the right of the map.
Transvaal is on a hill South-East of the Woluwe valley.
Back down at Debroux there are panels indicating a walkway all around the
Brussels Capital region (inside the region)=
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao11.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao12.jpg
Every Metro station has its own style (A couple of weeks ago I posted the
Tintin walls in Stokkel)
Debroux is completely in marble with sculptures in black painted metal:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/trao13.jpg

2. Stokkel kermis.
On the way to the second Transvaal, I had a stop in Stokkel for Stokkel
kermis.
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto01.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto02.jpg
I made some pictures of regional food:
The classic is Belgian fries with mayonnaise:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto03.jpg
also traditional is the smoutebol, a boll of dough dipped and fried fully in
molten fat or in hot oil:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto04.jpg
Classic, also on exhibitions, is the hot-dog,
a Vienne sausage between a crispy bread, with sauerkraut and real mustard
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto05.jpg
The local Hamburger at fairs is mainly covered with fried onions (slices),
which are prepared on the same plate as the meat and soaked with meat juice.
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto06.jpg
The round crispy bread is called a pistolee (pistolet in Belgian French).
Churros http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto07.jpg are a major competitor
for smoutebollen. Due to their form the have much more skin surface and the
result is obviously more crispy. Both Churros and smoutebollen are served
with very fine icing sugar (bloemsuiker).
Traditionals from the sweet side:
spun sugar:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto08.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto09.jpg
Pommes d'amour (apples envelopped in sugar):
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto10.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto11.jpg
Brussels waffles:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/sto12.jpg

3. Transvaal.
Since as to:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvaal_(Auderghem)#Quartier_du_Transvaal<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transvaal_%28Auderghem%29#Quartier_du_Transvaal>
the Transvaal street in Transvaal had to change irts name in 1917 (This must
have been under the ruling of Freiherr von Bissing in occupied Belgium),
because there was an other *Transvaal street in Anderlecht*, an other suburb
of Brussels.
That street is actually in the district *Kuregem* in Anderlecht.
Kuregem is known in the press for its racial street wars: it is strongly
populated by immigrants and the hooligans of football club Anderlecht create
some racial amok with the immigrants from time to time.
On map; http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traamap.jpg
Kuregem is on top;
Closest metro station is *Aumale*, on the blue line at the West
(Anderlecht football station is a bit West of the metro station *St
Guido*lower at the left border)
Starting from Aumale we reach the border of Kuregem after a few minutes:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa01.jpg
Transvaal street connects the Chaussée de Mons with Carpentier street.
Carpentier street.:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa02.jpg
Transvaal street is a small street with houses dating from between WWI and
WWII:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa03.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa04.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa05.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa06.jpg
One of the buildings is dated from the turn of 19th and 20th century:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa07.jpg
It is a kid day care center.
At the South-East end of the street playgrounds have been set-up for keeping
the young people from the street:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa08.jpg
named after and supported by Franky Vercauteren
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa09.jpg
a former key player of football club Anderlecht and assistant trainer of
Belgian national football team
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franky_Vercauteren
The municipal primary school at the head of Carpentier street has its French
section in front:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa10.jpg
and a Dutch section on the back:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa11.jpg
The plate refers to a multicultural environment. Actually in this area there
may virtually no native Dutch speakers at all. There is some demand though
for programs in Dutch since some people, including immigrants or even
especially immigrants, want their kids to assimilate sufficient Dutch as
support for their later career.
On the way further East we pass the quite nice St Franciscus church, builded
completely in natural stone:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa12.jpg
And we end at the South-West of Brussels South railway station:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/traa13.jpg
On the first level one can see an Eurostar train parked for boardind.
One just sees the roof. The train is completely fenced off, since the
platforms are administratively UK territory (UK immigration controll is
passed when embarking), but it also keeps Kuregem out of sight)..

4. Unexpected encounters.
I finished my day with some downtown shopping.
In the South street there is publicity for the *Jazz days at the end of May
(125 free concerts):*
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par01.jpg
with quite some activity and music at a connection with Bvd Anspach;
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par02.jpg
I pressed myself in the crowd for some churros:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par03.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par04.jpg
and made some pictures of candy at an other booth:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par05.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par06.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par07.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par08.jpg
When coming closer to the band:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par09.jpg
I realized I was in the middle of a Gay Pride event.
On Bvd Anspach the wagons of the parade were parked along several blocks
South of the Bourse
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par10.jpg
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/tra/par11.jpg
and te stairs of the Bourse/Beurs (Belgian Stock exchange) were occupied by
many, clearly needing some rest.

Regards,
Roger