LL-L "Traditions" 2009.05.26 (02) [DE-EN]

Tue May 26 18:34:46 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 May 2009 - Volume 02

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2009.05.25 (02) [DE]

from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

Felix schrieb
Gibt es das öfter, das Tiere nach berühmten Familien benannt werden, die sie
im Wappen haben?

an English example: - the 'hirondelles' on the Sussex coat of arms comes
from a pun on the family name 'Arundel' originally the premier family of the
county from the town of the same name. In English also known as 'marlets'(=
swallows)

best wishes

Heather

Worcester UK
----------

 From: Felix Hülsey <felix.huelsey at gmx.de>

Hi all,

another answer to this mail (which is obviously very inspiring).

Sometimes people who are ridiculously overdressed, are compared to a
"Pentecost Bull" - "ausstaffiert wie ein Pfingstochse".

Does anyone know where this comes from and which tradition it might refer
to? Does that exist in other Lowlands languages as well?

Regards from Cologne
Felix

Hannelore Hinz het geskryf:

  Merkwürdig nur, welche Rolle der /Pingstmaandag /im Niederdeutschen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
 Subject: Traditions

Ha! That's interesting, Felix.

Some people here may still remember the childhood story I once told. I once
asked my father who came at Whitsuntide if St. Nicolas came at St. Nicolas
Day,  Father Christmas came at Christmas and the Easter Bunny came at
Easter. He smirked and said, "The Whitsun Bull". I'm not sure if he said *
Pingstbull* in Low Saxon or *Pfingstbulle* in German. Or was it *Pfingsochse
*? Hmm, I don't think so. At any rate, I thought he had made it up. But
there must have been a connection with the idiom you mentioned. At any rate,
I believed him and told all my playmates. There were lots of misled and
disappointed kids that Whitsuntide ...

Maybe sometime in the past farmers showed off their best animals at a
festival at Whitsuntide, such as their prize bulls decorated with springtime
greenery and such. I've seen such parades in other rural parts of Europe.

Seattle, USA