LL-L "Traditions" 2009.05.26 (04) [AF-EN]

Tue May 26 18:41:36 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 May 2009 - Volume 04

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.05.26 (01) [DE-EN]

 Dear All:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Referring to the subject 'Traditions'

I have been following the 'pinkster' string for the heart-stirring
congruence & divergence of language & dialect. It is like sunlight dancing
on the waters of a braided stream. Our Ron must be having fits of delight,
but really, the actual subject is beginning to irritate. Obviously our
ancestors were doctrinally well-informed on the history of their faith, &
this is what *they* knew.

'Pentecost' is the Greek or rather Helleno-Jewish name for the festival of
Shavuoth (coming up this Thursday night), the fiftieth day after Passover.
As my wife methodically puts it, the completing of the counting of the Omer:
A week of weeks. 'Shavua is 'week', 'sheva is 'seven'. You count it daily
with simple observances for fourty-nine days & the next night is Pentecost.
You have at the high-rise New-York cheese-cakes, blintzes with every kind of
delicious fillings & all manner of dairy-based gastronomic tours de force.
Yum. I fast (moderately) in anticip...ation.

This is what Chambers Etymological says: "Pentecost, a Jewish festival on
the *fiftieth* day after Passover, in commemmeration of the giving of the
Law: Witsuntide. [Greek *pentekoste* (*hemera*). the fiftieth day].

In Afrikaans we use 'Pinkster', which my translating dictionary interprets
as: "Witsuntide; Pentecost." Groot Woordeboek. Kritzinger, Steyn, Schoonees
& Cronjé

For us Christians Whitsuntide or Pentecost (Pinkster) is the seventh Sunday
after Easter (Paastyd) & commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit on the
day of Shavuoth. It is one of the great seasons for baptism, starting on
that very occasion, & in the 'Primative Church' the candidates, family &
sponsors wore white robes, a tradition continued to this day in the case of
the candidates. It would be an appropriate occasion for all manner of the
gentler local customs & diversions.

Maar wie is ek om in te tree? Praat gerus en praat vrylik, asseblief.

Die Uwe,
Mark