LL-L "Etymology" 2009.05.26 (05) [EN]

Tue May 26 21:43:49 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 May 2009 - Volume 05

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Vocabulary

 I'm looking for the correct term in English, German and other languages
for:
- *Verkaveling* (Dutch)
- *Lotissement* (French)
- *Verkavelingsvlaams*

As well the Dutch *verkaveling* as the French *lotissement* can mean both:
1 - Dividing a land in smaller parcels intended for the construction of
houses (in an organized way and supported by the investments in roads and
utilities)
2 - The section of a town that was created by such a procedure.

In Belgium we use "Verkavelingsvlaams" for designing Belgian Dutch colored
by some regiolect. The term "Verkavelingsvlaams" was lauched I think by a
journalist Geert van Istendaal. Since in such development area people from
different villages buy land and construct houses, the native village dialect
of the area is not known nor learned by the new immigrants and the
regiolect-color helps to keep a cosy armosphere;
Local soap TV series often use some form of Verkavelingsvlaams.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotissement
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verkaveling is incomplete and gives only the
first meaning
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verkavelingsvlaams