LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.05.30 (02) [EN]

Sun May 31 03:01:06 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 May 2009 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.05.30 (01) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>>

Subject: Language varieties

Paul,

At first listen I had a similar experience to yours. I tend to understand
Afrikaans and Standard Netherlands at slow to moderate speed best. In the
case of Belgian Standard Dutch insufficient exposure may be the problem.
This might call for increasing exposure, such as watching Belgian news and
talk shows online, e.g. ...

http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/channels/21/Belgium
http://wwitv.com/television/21.htm

Seattle, USA

Hmmm. About 50% - 70% I reckon, depending on who was speaking.  The Anchor
Lady was OK, some of the others were a bit tough.

Paul
Derby
England