LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.05.30 (03) [EN-NL]

Sun May 31 04:15:14 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 May 2009 - Volume 03

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

Beste Ron,
You wrote:

At first listen I had a similar experience to yours. I tend to understand
Afrikaans and Standard Netherlands at slow to moderate speed best. In the
case of Belgian Standard Dutch insufficient exposure may be the problem.
This might call for increasing exposure, such as watching Belgian news and
talk shows online, e.g. ...

http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/channels/21/Belgium
http://wwitv.com/television/21.htm

Then you may as well watch our own Roland Desnerck who recently published
translations of two "Kuifje"-albums (Kuifje is almost a national hero in
Belgium) in his native Ostend dialect:

http://tinyurl.com/l4qr42

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>>

Subject: Language varieties

Beste Luc,

Ik dank daar van.

Jawadde! Daar is hij nu eindling, diejen Roland, diejen astrante
bietskoemer. En zijn excuus voor zijn stilte op Lowlands-L: 't vertalen van
boeken.

Folks, following the link our Luc gave us above, you might enjoy seeing and
hearing our own Roland Desnerck in a video featuring his translations into
the West Flemish dialect of Ostend.

I had been wondering and worrying about our Roland. Now I know what that
cheeky lad has been up to.

Toetnoasteki!

Reinhard/Ron
Seattle, USA