LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.05 (03) [EN]

Fri Nov 6 06:37:25 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 November 2009 - Volume 03

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"

Beste David,

You wrote:

How We'd Talk if the English had WON in 1066 - Some info. on this new
book was sent out a few weeks ago ...

Just bought an e-version of "How We'd Talk..." as I find the subject truly
fascinating. To some extent the influence of Norman on English can be
compared with the development of Flemish. Even though the County of Flanders
was not invaded by Normans, it was one of the twelve original French peers
(carrier of the sword). Note by the way that both William the Conqueror
(wife was Flemish) and Tostig Godwinson (brother of the last Anglo-Saxon
king before the invasion) recruited Flemish mercenaries.

In short, French influence (Picard more precisely) on Flemish has been
tremendous during the Middle Ages, especially when compared with Brabantish.
In the end though, just like English, Flemish resurged. France has however
never given up entirely on Flanders (to this day?), which on the contrary I
believe they did with respect to the UK (religion plays a major role I
guess).

1. Afterfollower, meaning successor. Updated from Old English
Ãœfterfylgere. Related word updates are afterfollowingness =
succession, and a verb, to afterfollow

Regarding all different kinds of followers, the situation in Dutch is
somewhat fragmented:

achtervolger = pursuer

opvolger = successor

navolger = copycat

vervolger = prosecutor

This would result in 'after-follower', 'up-follower', 'nigh-follower' and
'for-follower' (judging 'forlorn'/'forsake') for English. Not exactly short
words, but then again, the semantic fields of '(pur)sue', 'persecute',
'prosecute' are not perfectly partitioned and transparent either.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium