LL-L "History" 2009.11.07 (02) [EN]

Sat Nov 7 19:35:56 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 November 2009- Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.11.06 (01) [EN]

When William Caxton, about a century earlier, commented that Old English was
"more like unto Dutch than to English", he actually meant German (Deutsch).
He in fact spoke fluent Netherlands.  Whether the meaning had shifted to the
modern English sense, I'm not sure. As for "Scotch", I'm pretty sure that
meant the language of her predescessor James I (or VI to the Scots); that
is, Lallans.

Paul
Derby
England

----------

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>

Well, for what it's worth, Heather, et alli, Guy Fawkes is renowned for
being
 the only person to go to Parliament with honest intentions :)  (They may
not
have been very helpful intentions, but they were completely honest. :)

Just my 0.02c worth

Wesley Parish

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009, Lowlands-L List wrote:
<snip>
> From Heather Rendall  heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk
>
> Subject (I think  - still?) Lexicon
<snip>
> from Heather who was only surprised last night that another attempt to
blow
> up Parliament did not take place ( joke!) and who wonders how many 'guys'
> on bonfires last night had the face of the local MP.
>
> from a UK still reeling from the scandal of MPs'  expenses
<snip>

-----
George Kelischek - "To impress those high-tech computer types,
tell them what an Ocarina really is:
an animal-activated-solid-state-
multi-frequency-sound-synthesizer."
-----